1. You are not your emotions
2. Don't let your emotions take over and 'become' you. When we feel compelled by our emotions, our amygdala is in 'hijack' mode. This means we literally cannot think rationally or make logical decisions because the rational part of our brain is 'hijacked' by our amygdala. Imagine how this impacts your interactions with co-workers and loved ones.
3. Emotions are like visitors, they come and go
4. Emotions are not right or wrong or anything in between. This goes for your own emotions and others. All feelings are valid. What physically hurts you may not physically hurt someone else, and vice versa, so all are valid.
5. Respect your emotions - there is a reason they came knocking.
6. Emotions contain a lot of information! Science shows emotions show up in our body
7. Identifying emotions as they come up is directly tied to self-awareness
8. Don't run from challenging emotions. Alternatives: feel them, acknowledge them, understand them, let them go.
9. Don't get attached to pleasant emotions. Alternatives: feel them, acknowledge them, understand them, let them go.
10. Know that EVERYTHING changes, this includes emotions. If you sit with an emotion long enough, without reacting, it will dissipate on it's own.