Meditation is more than the practice on the mat. The benefits overflow into many other areas of our lives. I am often asked this question of why I meditate and how it has changed my life so thought I'd share this list.
- It helps me sleep at night
- It gave me a framework to practice so I feel calm
- Meditation makes my mind sharper and more focused
- Meditation gave me a process to observe the habit patterns of my mind
- It is mind blowing to become aware of how much we operate from these habit patterns (I'd say easy 90%) unless we actively practice otherwise (ex. an itch - do you know how many times you itch yourself a day? Probably not because it's such a natural reaction. Imagine how many other habit's we have that are of a similar fashion)
- Meditation helps me make decisions
- I am happier :)
- It has taught me emotional resilience
- It continuously reminds me that everything is changing, EVERYTHING!
- If I am experiencing a tough emotion, don't fight it - it will change. If I am experiencing a super positive emotion, don't get attached - it will also change
- Meditation has taught me to trust myself
- It has shown me what I can really control, and shown me how to let go of things that I cannot control
- I am more engaged in conversations and activities
- Meditation empowers me to get through tough times
- I am more compassionate
- It helps me understand and decode many of my feelings, which contain a ton of information!
- It enables me to be more effective with my time, energy, resources...basically at life!
- I have better relationships in my life
- Did I mention I am happier?
- Who ends a list at 19? I can't do it.
If you meditate, I'd love to know some of the reasons on your list! Share with me below in the comments.